This week I plan to setup a VMware vSphere ESXi 5.1 on Dell XPS 8500.
We recently purchased Dell XPS 8500 with core i7 and 8GB memory during Dell Deals. Dell XPS 8500 comes with
- 2 extra sata ports available to add new hard drives.
- One stand alone graphics card mounted on PCI Express x16 slot for HDMI.
- It also comes with on-board graphics port on the motherboard.
- 4 DIMM slots. 2 are already occupied by Dell with 2 X 4 GB. 2 more left to expand. I added 2 x 8GB.
- 1 TB 7200 hard drive
On Newegg, we ordered the following
- GSkill 2 X 8 GB memory
- OCZ Vector 256 GB SSD hard drive
I plan to install VMware ESXi 5.1 on the new OCZ Vector hard drive and create 3 virtual machines.
Step 1. Download VMware ESXi 5.1 from VMware website.
Step 2. Burn the VMware ESXi 5.1 image iso to CD
Step 3. Unplug the 1 TB 7200 hard drive that came with Dell XPS 8500. I plan to connect it later as a backup hard drive.
Step 4. Mount the new OCZ Vectore 256 GB hard drive and connect it with the sata cable and power cable that was connecting 1 TB hard drive.
Step 5. Insert the 2 x 8GB RAM in to the empty RAM slots
Step 6. Power on Dell and F2 to enter Bios