I recently got Samsung Captivate and wanted to import all my contacts from my old phone to this phone. Following are some of the ways you could do it.
- From your old phone export all of your contacts as vCards files on your pc using your the software provided by your old phone manufacturer
- Install USB drivers and Samsung Kies from Samsung Support site
- Connect Samsung Captivate to your pc and select Mass Storage mode on your phone
- Insert microSD card into Samsung Captivate if it does not have it
- Copy all the vCards files on to the microSD card of Samsung Captivate phone
- Open Contacts on Samsung Captivate and then
- touch Menu –> more –> Import/Export –> Import from SD card –> Phone –> Import all vCard files
Now all the contacts should be loaded in to Samsung Captivate.
CSV Method / Gmail Method
- Go to Contacts in your Gmail account
- Click on More Actions –> Import Contacts –> Select CSV file or vCard file
- On your Samsung Captivate install touch menu button –> Settings –> Account and Sync
- Under Manage Accounts Click on your gmail account make sure that Sync Contacts is checked
- Go back and click on the sync button next to your gmail account
- On your old phone you copy all the contacts to SIM
- Now take the SIM out of your old phone and inser it to your new phone
- On Captivate, open Contacts, press Menu –> more –> SIM Management –> Copy Contacts from SIM
This Method has some drawbacks. When you copy contacts to SIM, it only copies just one phone # and does not copy multiple phone #s or other contact information like email or address etc.