You may have heard that Google became cell phone service provider like straight talk.
Google uses bandwidth from T-Mobile and Sprint and your cell phone would automatically switch between Wi-Fi, T-Mobile and Sprint depending on your coverage location and etc. It is heard it will try to use Wi-Fi first and then T-Mobile and then Sprint as a last resort.
Recently I received an invite for Project Fi. I was hesitant to use it for the following reasons
- There are no option for family plan. If you are on a family plan, then you are out of options
- You have to get a new phone from Google. Phone choices are limited.
- Not sure how the service is going to be ? like switching between Wi-Fi and Cell. I was not that happy when I was with T-Mobile. The call gets dropped most of time during hand off.
With this in mind, I was sure to go ahead and experiment with it.
But you need to ask, like Google itself ?
I had a chat with Project Fi representative and found the following points.
- You can try the Project Fi service first for few days and if you have happy, then you can initiate the number porting. All give them the call.
- Family plans is one of the popular requested feature and is in the works
- More supported and cheaper phones is also being requested more and is in the works.